Undergraduate Economics Program (BA in Economics)
Bogotá - presencial
9 semestresOpen registrations
The undergraduate program in Economics is oriented to study economic theory and interdisciplinary interaction, to analyze different global phenomena and their impact on society.
Economics students can transform the nation. To this purpose, the Economics undergraduate program offers an interdisciplinary formation in core economic courses, such as macroeconomics, microeconomics, and econometrics.
Future economists may contribute to the social transformation and development of the nation, contributing their knowledge to the design and implementation of public policies that seek to close gaps and improve the living conditions of the most vulnerable.
They will also be agents of change by the analysis of current data and historical facts to understand different economic and social phenomena at regional, national, and international levels.
The broad knowledge of quantitative methods and various aspects of the social sciences also enables the development of skills to study the decisions of individuals and how they affect the distribution of resources.
Economics professionals may undertake and innovate, thanks to their broad knowledge of the functioning and interaction of different markets.
- Since the pandemic, it is the best time to study economics. The health crisis made this profession widely required. Economists are needed to analyze the impact of the crisis and to propose ways out of it.
- It is an integral career in which you will have a wide labor field.
- You will be able to design and implement policies that contribute to the development of the nation.
- You will learn to analyze current data and historical facts to understand what is happening in Colombia and the world.
- You will learn about global phenomena and their impact on society.
- You will have the tools to excel in the public or private sector.
Externado’s aspiring economists are interested in analyzing societal problems and using data, models, and different social science tools to analyze them. They are also interested in understanding global phenomena and their impact on society. They also have an affinity for the design and execution of solutions that contribute to the development of the nation.
- Design and execute public policies that contribute to the closing of gaps and the development of the country.
- Analyze current data and historical facts to understand the economic and social context at regional, national, and international levels.
- Study the decisions of individuals and how they affect the distribution of resources.
- Know and understand economic policy from multiple disciplines such as law, social sciences, history, and finance.
- Entrepreneurship and innovation. Thanks to their broad knowledge of the functioning and interaction of different markets.
- Managers, consultants, researchers, and advisors in the public sector. Through entities such as the Central Bank, Ministry of Finance, National Planning Department, DANE, and others. They can also work in local organizations in the private sector and international multilateral organizations.
- Management in the business, financial and public sectors.
- International business manager.
- Financial analyst in the stock market. They can work in the Stock Exchange, or another commercial, financial institutions, and risk rating agencies.
- Entrepreneurship and innovation.
- Teaching and academic research.
- New syllabus *Effective from the first semester of 2021.
- Previous syllabus *For former students of the Economics program.
Learn more about the areas of study
Its courses are oriented to training in economic theory. Courses: Introduction to Economics I and II, microeconomics I and II, macroeconomics I and II, resource allocation, welfare economics, econometrics I and II.
Basic mathematics and statistics
This course is designed to develop the mathematical and statistical tools that serve as the basis for the core courses of the program. Courses: mathematics I, II, and III, linear algebra and optimization of differential equations, statistics I and II.
It gathers derivations, extensions, and applications of economic theory. Courses: Colombian economy, international economic theory, and policy, macroeconomic policy, economic analysis of law, financial and social evaluation of projects, financial economics, and Colombian economic development.
Finance and financial economics
Includes accounting and financial analysis, financial and social evaluation of projects, and financial economics.
Interaction of areas in the individual exercise of textual comprehension, sense of interpretation, analysis, and clear and argued writing of economic problems. Courses: research techniques workshop, colombian economic circumstances workshop, pre-investigation I, and pre-investigation II.
History and economic thought
This course aims to contextualize the work done in other areas. Courses: history of economic events, economic history of Colombia, institutional economics, political economy, and economic doctrines.
Includes six levels of English. Students take a placement test when they enter the School. Those who have fulfilled the English requirement may take classes in other languages.
Courses: Political Ideas, Political Institutions of Colombia, Colombian Constitutional Law, and a variety of seminars.
In addition to the seminars offered by the Economics Department, students may take courses offered by other academic units of the Externado (subject to fulfillment of prerequisites and availability of places).
- Finance and International Relations. Government and International Relations
- Business Administration
- Tourism and Hotel Business Administration
- Public Accounting
- Social Communication and Journalism
Why study economics at Externado?
- Externado University has in the best 600 universities in the world, according to the QS University Ranking, from 2015 to 2021.
- We are one of the ten best economics schools in Colombia according to the ranking of Revista Dinero.
- You will be able to join different research groups where you will strengthen your academic and professional profile.
- To receive your professional degree, you can choose different degree options such as international exchange, internship, thesis, or start studying for a master’s degree in the last semester of your career.