Certification in Electoral Law, Campaign Management, and Political Communication
The Law, Social Communication-Journalism, and the Finance, Government and International Relations Faculties invite to the course, which will provide sufficient Electoral Law, Communication and Political Marketing tools to conduct a successful election campaign.
The course is designed, especially, for all candidates and campaign consultants wishing to participate in the upcoming democratic game and optimize their election possibilities.
The program provides high-level training on the most important aspects of the electoral procedure legal regulation, from voters’ determination and electoral census configuration, passing through the candidacy legal regime, and analysis of the electoral system.
The course is also designed to provide participants with practical tools allowing designing a campaign strategy to effectively mobilize their constituents, interpret polls, create low-budget campaigns, and assertively speak when addressing voters and the media.
Additionally, students will learn to recognize the rules guiding campaign communication and understand the true persuasion effects of the media and social networks in the electoral political participation and have the ability to make use of the communication and political expression models that are highly effective in media environments.
“Electoral Law” Module
1. Election procedure (I)
· Right to vote: registration cards, electoral census, electoral residence, and control of electoral transhumance.
· Actors in the electoral process: election supervisors and electoral witnesses’ accreditation
2. Election procedure (II)
· Right to stand for election: qualities and inabilities regulations
· Candidacy legal system: entitled individuals, candidacies’ registration, registration requirements, revocation of candidate registration
· Electoral campaign legal regime: electoral propaganda and campaign financing
3. Electoral system
· Concept and elements
· Electoral circumscription, thresholds, and electoral formulas (proportional distribution)
4. Electoral Justice
· Election complaints
· Procedure requirement
· Overview of the electoral action
“Political Marketing” Module
5. Strategic campaign planning
· Strategy, the backbone of the campaign. Learn to segment audiences, define objectives, position the candidate, and develop a campaign message.
6. The campaign: management, organization, and advertising
· Low-budget campaigns: efficiently manage and run the campaign
· Research as an essential part of a candidate’s campaign
· Creative advertising
7. Digital Marketing: construction of ‘transmedia’ narratives
* How to use digital media as real channels for the design of segmented, intelligent, and effective strategies.
8. Media Training Workshop: non-verbal communication demands
· Tools for developing and delivering a great speech
· Knowing how to speak in public and through the media
“Communication and Political Persuasion” Module
9. Political communication and electoral propaganda
· Seeks to understand the difference between propaganda and political communication, as well as knowing the rules defining the campaign from electoral advertising.
10. Media effects on political participation
· Knowing mass media effects in political participation allows understanding the different scenarios of successful campaigns, according to the contexts in which they are presented.
11. Social media effects on political participation
* Knowing the effects of social media in political participation and expression is a necessary element in the new digital media environments.
12. Persuasion and political communication
· Persuasion in political campaigns and models where political persuasion techniques are applied in the electoral context.
Augusto Hernández Becerra
Humberto Sierra Porto
Carlos Eduardo Gechem
Carolina Rico Marulanda
Pedro Pablo Vanegas Gil
Juan Manuel Méndez
Ivette Consuelo Hernández
Carlos Andrés Arias
Diego A. Mazorra
* The Externado de Colombia University reserves the right to make changes to the class dates.
* The University reserves the right to cancel or postpone the course according to the response obtained. Similarly, it reserves the right to revise the curriculum.
* The Externado de Colombia University reserves the right to make changes to the teaching faculty.
Registration deadline: April 5, 2019
Classes begin: Friday, April 12, 2019
Classes end: Saturday, June 22, 2019
Space is limited
Certificate of attendance
The University will award a Certificate of Attendance to participants attending at least 80 percent of the academic activities.