Our program seeks that its graduates have the skills to propose solutions to problems related to transportation systems, public services, environmental and ecological management, land markets; as well as analyze economic, social, and political variables on the development of a region.
In a novel way, this Master’s Degree addresses the phenomena around metropolization, as a phase of the urbanization process of the population and human activities, which is detected with particular intensity in the immediate surroundings of the cities at the head of the hierarchy of the political-economic organization system of the country.
Why study the Master in Economics of Metropolitan and Regional Development?
The Master’s Degree in Economics of Metropolitan and Regional Development is designed to meet the demands of professionals from different disciplines, who, due to their professional work, need to develop the skills and abilities necessary to analyze, intervene and act on large agglomerations of population and human activities in the metropolises and their interaction with the surrounding regions; this through tools provided throughout the program such as quantitative methods, spatial analysis, regional development indices, among others.
The graduate of the Master in Economics of Metropolitan and Regional Development will be able to lead analysis processes for decision-making in both the public and private sectors, in matters related to spatial phenomena in the urban, metropolitan and regional. In the same way, it will be able to advise regional planning and land use planning processes. As metropolization is the current phase or dominant moment of the urbanization of the population and the agglomeration of human activities that most affect the development and well-being of the nation as a whole, graduates enjoy a wide field for their professional practice.
- Externado University ranks third among the best Universities in Colombia and is among the best 500 in the world, according to the QS University Ranking 2019.
- Externado University Faculty of Economics is one of the 3 best Faculties of Economics in the country, according to the ranking of Dinero Magazine.
- MEDMER is an innovative master’s degree in the national context by addressing issues related to metropolises.
- Because it is a deepening Master’s degree, the program has a flexible curricular structure, where the development of skills for economic analysis is privileged.
- The program has solid support in terms of research, thanks to the academic production of the research groups: Construction of State, Territory and Peace; State and Economy, and History and Economic Thought.
- Interdisciplinary approach.
- Full-time professors
- If you are a graduate of the Specialization in Urban and Regional Economics it will have a preferential admission and a homologation plan of up to 29%.
Young Researchers Program: Periodically, the Faculty of Economics links active students of the Faculty’s Master’s Degrees to the Young Researchers program, which is a job opportunity that allows them to participate directly in teaching or research activities with the faculty. This participation is independent of the existing relationship between the University and the student, derived from the academic enrollment.
Discount policy: Externado University has a discount policy for undergraduate and graduate graduates. More information here
- Multiple financing options
- Route service at different times and stops/li>
- Participation in the different cultural activities (photography club, singing, capoeira, ceramics, oral narration, story Tuesday, among others that you can find HERE)
- Guidance and counseling service
- Medical Service- Medi-express, with a previous evaluation by general medicine in the following specialties: Internal Medicine, Dermatology, Otolaryngology, Orthopedics, Optometry, Urology, Gynecology and Ophthalmology.
For more information see the page HERE
- Gym service and participation in the different sports offered by the university (swimming, skating, diving, basketball, among others).
- Loan of different sports facilities at the Alcázar site.
- Loan of study rooms, access to system rooms and other services provided by the university for academic development.
The master’s degree has a total of forty-five (45) academic credits distributed in three (3) academic semesters.