Chat: “No to life imprisonment: there are better ways to protect children and youths”
Date: 24 of july of 2020
Time: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
Place: Plataforma Virtual Zoom
The Externado de Colombia University Criminal Policy Research Center invites the academic community and all interested, to this event, regarding Legislative Act 001, just enacted by the President of the Republic.
This interdisciplinary academic event seeks to demonstrate how life imprisonment is an ineffective punishment for the intended purpose – protection of children and adolescents from sexual violence. It will analyze, from a philosophical and psychological perspective, human dignity and the possibility of change in human beings.
Better ways of preventing sexual violence against children and youths will be discussed, and the infeasibility of life imprisonment will be explored in the light of the Constitution.
The event features expert professors from different disciplines who, from their knowledge, will enrich the debate:
- Castor Bartolomé Ruiz, PhD in Philosophy, Universidade da Vale do Rio dos Sinos UNISINOS (Brazil).
- Omar Bravo, PhD in Psychology, ICESI University professor – Colombia
- Gloria Carvalho, Director of the Alliance for Children, Humanas Corporation – Colombia
- Luis Miguel Bermúdez Gutiérrez, Doctor in Education, Santo Tomás University – Colombia
- Magdalena Correa, director of the Externado Constitutional Law Department
- Douglas Durán, director of the United Nations Latin American Institute for the Prevention of Crime and the Treatment of Offenders (ILANUD).
Additionally, we will have participation by professor-researchers of the Center for Research in Criminal Policy. They are Marcela Gutiérrez Quevedo (director), Ana Lucía Moncayo Albornoz, Ángela Marcela Olarte, and Angélica Pardo López.
Registration at email: email@example.com. After completion, you will receive a confirmation email with information to join the webinar.